July 17, 2010

Best ever and simple to make homemade pancakes

My husband and I have a strange obsession with breakfast. It's our favorite meal of the day and sometimes we cook in while other times we prefer to do brunch. For us, breakfast doesn't necessarily just start the day since we also enjoy breakfast food for dinner.

On a quest for a delicious pancake recipe, I really lucked out when I found this one on allrecipes.com. It's easy, requiring few ingredients which you'll most likely have in your pantry and fridge already (I love that because grocery shopping is something I like to avoid as long as possible).

I've made the recipe three times now, first with blueberries then blackberries and this morning with wheat flour, topped with fig preserves and cane syrup for me (as pictured), maple syrup for hubby. The wheat provides a denser texture than white flour. Personally, I prefer the white flour which lends a really light, fluffiness to the pancakes. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Here's how you whip 'em up and 'cause a stir at your house in the morning.

First, place all dry ingredients in one bowl while you whisk the wet ingredients in a second bowl. Then, make a little "cave" in the dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture in. Mix until smooth (I always have some bumps so no worries if the batter isn't entirely smooth).

Next, place about 1/4 cup of batter in to a lightly oiled skillet on medium high heat. Watch for bubbles. Once you see them rise from the pancake, gently flip the pancake to the other side. Generally, these cook pretty quickly and I find myself burning them with some frequency. Once the second side looks done (prod with your spatula to be sure) plop the pancake on a plate and apply some butter. Then, repeat the process with the remaining batter.

Expect 10 medium sized pancakes with each serving. For a list of ingredients and complete instructions, visit allrecipes.com here.

No comments:

Post a Comment